Thursday, December 20, 2012

April 2012 - Row Row Row your boat…

After having piled on the weight during the previous months, and just in general not been in shape at all, I figured I would really need to do something involving exercise…

But what? I mean, you could lose the contacts right? And then well, there be some fun to be had…

I had been checking a bit with people on the KC Facebook page to see what kind of sports the where able to do, but it did come down to being careful not to knock the lenses out for sure...

I’ve never been very sporty in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong, over the years there has been football (soccer), Taekwondo, a bit of swimming  and several Health club memberships, but it never was a constant factor as such…  but I was well aware that this time I really had to change things, as yes, this whole thing had brought me down, but maybe, just maybe I had been just that little bit fitter or healthier, I might have been able to cope with it all a bit better… then again, that might be just something I was telling myself…

The core of it was that I wasn’t healthy, and I should make sure I was, as I did never want to go back “there”

Before I went on sick-leave, I had slowly started training for a 4 day walking event in Holland were you walk 50km a day for 4 days, and I had figured that would be a good thing for me to start working on getting healthier, as I already then had realised that I was heading in the wrong way, but unfortunately I had to cut that short, as I literally almost walked into the River Thames…

And thinking back to that, I had an idea… Rowing!!!!! I had seen quite some rowing crews along the Thames during my walks there, and had thought about joining a rowing club before but was sort of held back with the potential “old boys club” idea it might just bring with it…
When I started mulling it over, I figured that theoretically I wouldn’t need my eyes in the first place.. (not completely true of course, but still…) and it would be a great way of building stamina and overall physical fitness… So I started looking around and found that the area I was moving to actually had a new rowing club near it, a club that only had started the year before and consisted of a couple of massive rowing enthusiast that just did it for the love of the sport and wanted to bring something together, and that sounded good to me..   

Having explained my issue and thoughts to one of the founders, I found myself attending one of the taster sessions and found myself hooked…. This was gonna be fun…

http://www.devilselbowrowing.co.uk/






No comments: