Tuesday, February 05, 2013

“Going Blind”



“so yeah, I’m going blind for …. “

WHAAAAT????? Go back… you’re going blind?  What happened… Marco WTF?

“eh?”

Well, you just said youre going blind again…

“eh yeah??….oooohhh. naaaaaAAAHHHHHHH, hold on… “

(I was on the phone to my Friend Anna, and just realised she had not seen the Quotations marks I made when I said I was “going blind”)

“No, hold on, what I was trying to say was that, I’m going blind , insert quotations marks, for 10 days to give my eyes a rest for further  testing….”

And I proceed to tell her all the details of the upcoming time of “darkness”

I’m not allowed to wear my contacts for that period so that my eyes will have the most rest possible, and we create a new baseline to work from for future treatment/ management, as it looks my eyes have deteriorated… (which is to be expected with a degenerative disease), and as I only got this in my mid- thirties, opposed to the normal early teens, early twenties situation, the docs wanted to make sure everything get monitored a bit more stringent… .fair enough I guess..

But how is that going to work?

I have, ofcourse, gone through this (the “not seeing much to almost nothing” malarkey)  before, but at that stage I was co-habiting with my girlfriend, which in all honesty helped a lot… from following at least a similar routine / sleeping pattern  to the fact there’s someone there to talk to and with, instead of sitting there completely isolated… Plus I lived in a pretty well maintained area, pavements, road and public transport wise…. and now I’m living on my own, in a fairly new area to me..

I am pretty mobile with just using my Cane and although the roads and pavements here are a bit more filled with potholes I think I’ll be fine, then again, as some of my friends here have told me, it there might still be the  safety issue of the “vulnerable white man”  hobbling along.. 
Something I honestly had never  thought of , but will not just dismiss ofcourse, after having more than just one person mentioning it…
To be honest I have been told more than once that there is a big issue in KL with regards to “smash- grab ride-by’s” on motor bikes and you don’t want to just invite it I guess…


So even with a big Shopping mall almost on my Door Step, I can’t see myself venturing out a massive amount during this time … 

I have a swimming pool at the condo complex where I live and might just try and figure how to get there safely without using my lenses and just swim and swim… or ad least don’t stay inside the whole time…


Then there a question ive been asked over the last couple of days a lot as well.. .”how are you going to cope food wise?

Well… whereas last time I coped pretty well, and cooked quite a lot myself actually, I now have to compromise a bit more…

Firstly, previously we had an induction stove and now I have gas…. Which I love cooking with, but it brings a different problem, instead of grabbing the panhandle the risk is too big I might just grab the flame instead, so that’s a massive no-no…

Cutting up Veg and meat wasn’t ideal last time around, and will definitely not be an idea now either.. I did have a better equipped kitchen so was able to improvise a bit more, not now…

So what then? 

Well, preparation seems the key…. Fill up my cupboard with easy food like instant noodles and stuff, bread of course and so on…

Fill up the fridge with Bread spread stuff, but also stock it with prepared meals… cook them the previous week and fill up the freezer section and fridge with the dishes… and reheat as and when required….. 

But , I hear you say... how you gonna reheat if you only have gas stoves?.. .well, a friend has offered me a small one point electric induction plate that can help with that… so yeah… there’s ways…

And of course, with so many small and cheap restaurant options (people say its cheaper to eat out in Malaysia then cooking ) there’s always the option of food deliveries….. Chinese, Indian, Malay, Thai,Japanese, Western and sooo much more…


Luckily my phone can be voice controlled…

Hi, is that McDonalds? ;-)

No comments: